Free counter and web stats

Friday, September 15, 2006

Mini Book Review

Remember i said i plan to read at least one book every month? Ok i am delighted to announce that I am actually doing it!!! Here's a list of books i've read since May '06 and a mini book review:

The Five People You Meet in Heaven - this book is a gift from a friend, so i really feel bad about saying this (to the person who gave me this book: Please dont take this personal~). The story got some touching moment, but overall it was overrated and i honestly don't understand the hype for this book. I've done this personality test and it saids I lack empathy. Will my opinion towards this book be proof?

The Da Vinci Code - the story was well written but that stupid fact list/statement on the first few pages of the book is completely misleading which ruins everything (see Wiki for a list of errors in the book). It's a nice 'beach read' but Dan Brown is definitely incapable of writing a long lasting masterpiece (at least not yet).

The Glass Castle - is surprising good! Real life drama that's stranger than fiction. All i can say is that there are all sorts of people in this world.

Eat, Shoots and Leaves - is a book about grammar. I don't understand why it's the national best seller in the UK since the material is so dry! I obviously feel quite different from the people who gave praise to this book. I mean what's so good about this book???

Digital Fortress - after reading this book i think i am done with Dan Brown's stuff. What a 'one-trick guy'! The characters are almost identical to the ones in The Da Vinci Code and again it deals with code breaking (Surprise surprise!).

Confession of a Shopaholic - i'd call this another one of those 'leisure read' and it's actually funny! I can definitely relate to the shopaholic girl. :P It's one of those no-brainer books but hey i need a break once in a while. I will definately read the other books in the series.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - it's a pretty interesting story that explores the mind of a teenager with Autism. I really like this book

The Alchemist - a short read but it has deep meanings and inspires you in thinking about things in life. It's not exactly life altering but it gave me new meaning to things.

蔡瀾六談日本 / 蔡瀾四談日本 - these two books are collection of articles written by 蔡瀾 on Japan and the Japanese culture. Since Mr. Choi is such a picky eater he also talks a lot about Japanese food and where good restaurants are located. I do enjoy reading his books cuz it gives me a better understanding of the Japanese and their culture. The information will come in handy when i go to Japan.

Dispatches from the Edge - this is a memoir by Anderson Cooper, the CNN anchor. You might remember him as the one who bashed the governer of Louisanna on national television. I enjoyed his book although all the war, disaster and chaos mentioned in the book were quite depressing. Mr. Cooper is also quite a depressing person. As i read the book I wonder why cant he just cheer up and take it easy, but then i am not him and i dont know how i would've handled things if I lived a life like his. (loss of loved ones etc)

So there you go, my mini book review. I am currently reading 24 Declassified: Veto Power. Ok it's a lame book but i am going to finish it anyway. I was hoping the book will offer some information on the characters before 'Day One' but unfortunately it didn't. :( One thing for sure is that the book IS NOTHING LIKE THE TV SERIES!

2 comments:

Olivia said...

Kitty, I think I quit after two months of reading. But good for you, keep up the reading. I thought the Da Vinci Code was nice and entertaining. The book was still better than the film though. Sounds like you're asking for alot in books. =)

kkysiu said...

Well you are not the one who has to spend an hour or more on the train everyday!